Running, cooking, life and anything else that matters And, It's all about me...!

Sunday, September 10, 2006

A happy run after all the leg troubles

I should not have run that much today but... I did it; a total of 30kms and finished just before I felt exhausted ... I started running from Ricketts Point and headed towards Mordialloc and back to the starting point for a total of 12.8kms. I run these 12.8kms with the new runners (Brooks; see pic below), which I purchased yesterday at Active Feet, then changed to the old runners (Asics GT2110). I continued my run until I past Brighton Railway Station and then I headed back to Ricketts Point.
I run 17.4 kms with the old runners which, of course, felt totally different to the new ones. The runners provide me with more steady support not only in the arch but also in the back of the feet, where I need greater support.

After running the first 12kms I took one of the energy gels - I thought it would taste bloody awful but it tasted okay. I took a second one 50 minutes later - when I saw a water fountain so I could stop and safely take the gel and drink water. I must say that I felt more directly the effect of the first gel than the second one.

I did the run by myself because the other runners were not around. However I ended up having breakfast with Richard, Arie, Guille and Gonzo at the teahouse in Ricketts Point. Curiously I completed the run at the time I predicted to Arie last night. These folks cycled from their homes and I saw Richard when I was running which was nice because for a moment we chatted and this provided me with some encouragement - twenty minutes before I completed the run.

So, where am I in relation to the October event..? I am going to see again the physio tomorrow morning. I continue taking the medicine, which is a stronger anti-inflammatory than the one I started to take earlier on the week. I felt pain when I was running but it was all manageable. I still feel I can run 30 kms comfortably but this leaves a question mark about the other 12 kms in order to do the marathon. This week I decide whether it is a HM or full marathon - I originally intended to decide on Sept 1.

Thank God I decided to take anti-inflammatory and concentrated on tackling the potential sources of my leg problems - which I attribute to muscle stress.

Combining the time I used for warming up (including 1.5kms walk and moved car in cark par and running I was on the road for 2hrs50mins. A nice effort considering all my leg problems for the past two weeks. I am happy with today's run.

Finally, Rickett Point teahouse could improve the quality of its food. The breakfast was average; food and coffee need improving. Nice atmosphere though.

Free Web Counter
Free Web  
It's all about me... pursuing certain goals...