Running, cooking, life and anything else that matters And, It's all about me...!

Sunday, July 23, 2006

A Solo Bayside Run

This week: 22kms
Total July: 131kms

This morning I run solo from Middle Brighton Municipal Baths to Rickets Point (Beaumaris); oh what a beaut! The night before I planned my course and, because I could not go to Princess Park to join others there, I started my run around 9.30 am and run for about 53mins to my return point. Some of the other running partners were not up to a long course today... so it was a nice solo and enjoyable experience for me... I run at a pace I felt comfortable with and stopped for water whenever I wanted. In total I run for an 1hr50m.

For those curious to know, this was my course:
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=312589
I planned to run 26kms I dont think this was the total distance - felt like that, though.

I started at a nice slow pace and about 15mins into it I started feeling a pain in my left calf and thought I would have to return but after some stretching I felt relieved so I continued and picked up pace. Amazing that three minutes of targetted leg exercise made the difference. Feeling positive and keeping in mind that I was going for a long run I continued advancing through the bushes and admiring the views of Port Phillip Bay.

I felt happpy that I went past Half Moon Bay (this was where we started our journey back last Sunday), although today I started running a kilometre earlier. So I am beginning to gain familiarity with the course. In fact I went past my favourite beach spot - where during Summer I enjoy going for a swim and read a book in solitute.

The knee pain has dissapeared (referred to in my earlier post). My thoughts during the run were mainly positive. I must say that on my way back I decided that I am still far away from feeling on target to run a full marathon. This may sound a paradox considering that most people tell me that I am doing okay. I feel far from lasting the distance (bearing in mind that I am yet to run 30kms and past a two hour run) and I would not like to push myself again like last June that left me exhausted (but then again I think I enjoyed the experienced).

Part of the course was done on the concrete/pavement so my knees would not feel the pressure too much. There were some runners who stick to the pavement and other stayed. For most of the way back I run at a comfortable fast pace (5.0) and I only slowed down towards the end (probably around Dendy St). I still have energies till the end and felt delighted I finished feeling positive. I am delighted about my improvement.

So my plan of action for the coming two weeks is: Run twice during the week and a long run on Sundays. This coming Sundayn(July 30) the plan is to run three hours, starting at 7.30am, followed by a big breakfast at The Pantry. Sunday 6 August the target is to do 30 kms. These two runs will test my relative progress to ascertain my capability for October.

In addition, I need to drink more water during the day and eat bigger serves. Today I even thought that I would have to stop drinking wine if the aim is to improve my performance.

And, yes, Virginia, there is enjoyment in the runs I am doing now; I am not addicted to running though.

Free Web Counter
Free Web  
It's all about me... pursuing certain goals...