Running, cooking, life and anything else that matters And, It's all about me...!

Sunday, July 02, 2006

Three Laps around The Tan

After a week of not running at all, I struggled to complete three laps around The Tan this morning. Instead of focusing on the outcome, my intention was to focus on the process of doing a run at a slow pace – something like 5.30m. Apart from the fact that I hardly ever set to run at such pace and not having run for a week, I struggle to keep going at certain times. The fact that I had breakfast before certainly did not help. This was the first time for about two months that I run alone.

It is my intention to work on the motivation factor when I run. I still have fresh on my memory the mental struggle when doing the Run to the G, I am trying to get used to the idea that running is bloody b-o-r-i-n-g and that it is important to focus on the process not on the outcome. If my intention is to run long distances then I better work being on the road trying to find something exciting to think and to keep me going.

Enough whining. I started running near the 2km marker (south). I completed the first lap in 20mins - quicker than anticipated, even though I felt I was going slowly. So I tried to maintain the same pace for the second lap, which I found even more tedious, especially when you go past the 3.87km marker (north, river side) – however I persisted and I kept finding topics to think about. I must admit that I walked for about five minutes (yes, I bloody did) and do not hold any quarrels why I did it. Just before completing the second lap I considered quitting but thought, “no, bugger, I am not quitting so easily”, so I run the third lap. Pleased to say that I am happy did not quit – the run helped me clear my head for the coming week ahead – work commitments shall keep me on my toes. I shall also focus on some long lasting decisions that I must make.

Because of the wet weather, there were not so many runners out there today – but still enough to have to zig zag every now and then. Plenty of umbrellas to keep anyone clear of walkers.

So my plan for July is to focus on running as follows: Three sessions per week:
- Tempo – around 12 kms
- Intense sprinting – incremental build up
- Long run – around 20 kms (every second week-end, alternate week end tempo).

For June, I run a total of 79 kms. I completed my first half marathon. Lots of Ausrunners will do in one week what I run for a whole month. C'est la vie!

This week: 12
Progressive July total: 12

Free Web Counter
Free Web  
It's all about me... pursuing certain goals...