Running, cooking, life and anything else that matters And, It's all about me...!

Thursday, June 22, 2006

No running today and book opening lines

Invariably after a long run I have not exercise as much I do when I am preparing for one (he he he - i've only been training for four months and am beginning to sound wacko). I thought I would go running tonight but no... I am feeling the strain in my knee of the hard run from last Sunday. So, I am here writing this note instead. Next to me is a book I bought today...

I dont know if it happens to you that you spend so much time browsing through shelves and shelves and procastinatingg what to buy and you end up getting a book that you have not even considered or, more precisely know nothing about it.

There are books I have bought because of the opening first line; lines that simply stand out from the entire book. Primo Levi is one of those authors whose first opening line have always intrigued me. French writing is one that intrigues me, probably because it is surrounded by history, struggle, martydorm, passion and all that latin character.

Returning to the point of visiting a bookshop today... I bought Jean Claude Izzo's Total Chaos. To tell you the truth I have no idea what the book is all about.

The opening paragraph is: "All he had was her address. Rue des Pistoles, in the old neighorhood. It was years since he'd last been in Marseilles. But he didn't have a choice. Not know".

Our imagination can be put to work as to what follows next. But not tonight, on the eve of Australia's deciding World Cup fate, let's save the moment to one when circumstances are requiring less defininition.

- Ps: Just realised that the heading of the chapter in this book is: "Rue de Pistols, Twenty Years After". How many moments do we have in our lives when we return to places twenty years later? I've done it, 17 years later - to be precise.

To be continued.

Free Web Counter
Free Web  
It's all about me... pursuing certain goals...