Running, cooking, life and anything else that matters And, It's all about me...!

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Reached a milestone – 12kms

Today: 12 kms

This week: 19.5 kms

This month: 46 kms

It is one of those things in life… you dare to get into your head to run 12 kms but you have done 4 or 5 kms and you start to despair. Ay! Carajo! said I a few times whilst I was going around and around The Tan this evening. But because I committed myself (oh yeah… me thinking that running is just easy!) to run today three laps and the extra bit to make 12 kms, I had to finish the bloody run as planned. The good thing is that I did the last kilometre running faster than the previous 11 kms. My previous longest distance in recent times was the 10kms on Christmas Day (just because a huge meal).

This is how I ran today: I started (just past the 3km mark) running slowly (sorry MAR, did not do the 5 min walk) then picked a little pace after one kilometre and sustained it for the first lap, including going up the hill in Anderson St, but as I progressed I increased it a bit more – just enough to feel comfortable and breath easily. As I completed my first lap I felt good but sweating a fair bit – I am now convinced that the Asics blue top I wear sometimes is not the right one for hot days – I prefer the white Adidas I have which makes me feel less sweaty. Going up the hill the second time was less joyful than anticipated but even less joyful the third time (I even tried to stay within distance to a nice young chic but she was going to slow for my like so I had to pass her). Because I prefer going up than going down, I usually stop to have a drink of water at the fountain (near the 1.5 km mark), from that point on I just picked pace and then ran fast the last kilometre… I had glimpses of enjoyment as I reached the 12 kms milestone… I hope and I pray to the Gods that I stay injury free for the next 18 weeks!

The Tan was full of runners today, many familiar faces – it looks like the regulars are back in town. I saw one my my neighbours, an old flame from years ago and the umistakable combat wonbat, having a new hair style. Guess, who do i said hello to? Combat wonbat !

I am resting tomorrow and I am running again on Thursday. If things continue to go right, I am hopeful that by early February I shall be able to run 20kms on a Sunday morning.

And another thing...
I forgot to say that on a lengthy telephone conversation with my bro in LA, I ruled out running the LA marathon in early March this year… I was looking forward to having a crack at the race there because this is a city I have visited so many times and I am very familiar with it. However, I shall make the trip later on the year so I can go to Hermosa Beach to eat the best lobster tacos you can find in the planet (okay in sunny California).

Now that I lost the fear to #1 - I am considering a complete shave, then I will go to long hair for winter.

Adios chicos y chicas!

Free Web Counter
Free Web  
It's all about me... pursuing certain goals...