Running, cooking, life and anything else that matters And, It's all about me...!

Friday, February 16, 2007

Handling running a bit better!

Runs since last post:

Sat 10 Feb – Coast Path (Brighton-Black Rock-Brighton) – 13 kms

Mon 12 Feb Princes Hill Park – 3 kms

Tues 13 Feb – The Tan – 9 Kms

Thu 15 Feb –The Tan – 9 kms

Fri 16 Feb– Elwood-Brighton-Elwood (x2) – 12kms

This month: 78 kms (yippee!)

Whilst it seems there has been progress in running since early January, this is because I have made a number of changes to daily activities which are not going to last for too long. It seems that the routine for the year is about to start in earnest – so the beauty of running 4-5 pw is gone now.

For the past six weeks I have managed to accommodate extra running sessions to my usual schedule of things but the real thing starts next week. From now on I am back to my usual work / life routine so fitting in extra runs is going to be a challenge.

Last Saturday’s run was done unexpectedly because I made changes to my original plan. Whereas Monday’s run was done to help my friend Vic get into running. This is a challenge for him (just injured and trying to complete his doctoral dissertation amongst many other responsibilities) but his determination should outlast any obstacle. Tuesday’s run was done with my pal David who is trying to build up his distance. On Thursday I ran with my neighbour Kate, who started running last November. Kate has so much stamina and a determination to succeed – I shall not be surprised if she is a starter to the Melbourne Half Marathon this year or the year after. She will indeed be there for a few of the fun runs in coming months.

Today’s run was completed in two separate lots. I ran on my own Elwood-Brighton-Elwood. Then I did it with Gaby, who is one of my marathon buddies. Just before we completed our run, Gaby and I sprinted for about 400 metres, then we got into the water and swan briefly. Ah!!! What a marvellous experience. All of this before we started the day.

Heathcote Wine Region

Last Saturday I was around the Heathcote wine region and I had a fabulous time visiting wineries and having a good chat with people there. Worth noting the superb wines at Heathcote Winery – had great pleasure tasting shiraz which is not my favourite grape (pinot and tempranillo, thank you!). I parted with a case of the cleanskin Shiraz 2005 which is a genuine bargain for $110 (members). Had lunch at Shelmerdine (Merindoc Vineyard) which is about 20 kms away from Heathcote. My favourite Shelmerdine wine is the 2004 Cab Sauv. In both cases I only bothered to taste red wines. I must say that from my previous experience there are other wineries worth visiting. I would add Melvine Estate to the list if you happen to be around the area.

Manuscript

In recent weeks I have been gathering material about Guatemala, my homeland. This week I stumble a procedural manual to assist in anthropological forensic excavations – this is a manual published by the Ministry of State Affairs in Guatemala. This is a very interesting document, which contains enough legal, anthropological, government speak jargon, et. al. As you might know Guatemala had a civil war that lasted 36 years and, in the final years of the conflict there were more than 600 massacres. In total there are 50,000 cases of disappearances – one of those disappearances is that of my brother (who at the age of 22 was taken by armed men).

Lunch of the week

Thursday I had lunch with a great buddy, who has been an inspiration for me, at the Deanery Winery Reserve, which is one of my fav places in Melbourne’s CBD. I tasted a great risotto (lamb kibbeh on preserved lemon, with mint and pea and watercress salad). At the Deanery, it is worth checking the wine list, which is phenomenally diverse. Give it a go if you haven’t yet.

St Kilda Festival

In a nutshell, it was fabulous! I got badly sun burnt last Sunday, even though I was under the shelter near the water all Sunday afternoon drinking beer. Again I had #1 clippers earlier on and my head got burnt too! Silly me.


Labels: , , ,

Free Web Counter
Free Web  
It's all about me... pursuing certain goals...