Running, cooking, life and anything else that matters And, It's all about me...!

Sunday, May 21, 2006

Run for Twenty Kilometres

Today I achieved a good milestone… I run 20kms consecutively in 1h 44 mins (I think). I did five laps (plus the extra 650 metres) around The Tan, being the first time ever I run such a distance.

I run with Gabriel for four laps then he had to go. We did the first lap in 20mins –probably a bit too hard but we maintained the pace for the remaining. We started running near the intersection of Domain and Anderson streets (at the 1.5km mark) – clockwise. Around the 5-km mark we did some stretching at my request – I started to feel a bit of tension in my one legs. We stopped near the water fountain,opposite the Remembrance Shrine, that is where I usually stop to drink water. During the second lap we probably slowed down around the 5-6 km mark but sustained the pace going up the hill.

For the third lap we maintained the pace as for the first lap – probably we slowed down towards the top of the hill but picked up the pace heading down. For the fourth lap we slowed down near the river but kept going.

We started running at 7.45am. We noticed how the crowd changed; at the start there were not many runners or walkers – but by 9am The Tan was so busy that it started to get difficult to sustain our steady pace and we had to start to zigzag a bit.

After Gabriel left (at the 16km mark) I run faster and did the last lap in 17 mins – I was pleased I finished well; mind you I struggled at the top of the hill at the end. I achieved what I had intended to do at the beginning of the week.

When I was heading back to the car, I saw Rodrigo running on his second lap. We had a quick chat and wished him well for his third lap.

So after two weeks of feeling sick with the cold and a horrible cough, I returned this week to a total of 38kms – 6 kms on Monday, 12 kms on Thursday and 20 kms today Sunday.

I ended up having a good brekkie in Yarraville with Alexis and William. These folks were such a good company today. For lunch, it was a nice treat at the Carlisle Wine Bar with another friend – a two-course meal. Then I ended up going to the Pint on Punt - 'The Large Number 12s' were playing and it was the first time I saw them performing and they were awesome. (I must say I had a glass of beer and a glass of red with lunch plus two beers at the pub).

So now I feel I can do the half a marathon this coming June. So I will continue working on my thrice a week training program:
one easy run (6 kms),
one medium (12 kms) and
a long run every second Sunday – where I increase distance.
So for my next long run (June 5) the target is 6 laps around The Tan. My aim is to do some weights other days, if time permits. I will also aim to do one skipping session per week. Let’s see how I go.

I would like to thank the members of the Ausrun forums who are very good encouraging others. These folks are a good source of tips:
http://www.ausrun.com.au

I better go away to read papers in front of the TV – Eurovision is on… what a trash but a delight ‘cos it’s not American.

Free Web Counter
Free Web  
It's all about me... pursuing certain goals...