Running, cooking, life and anything else that matters And, It's all about me...!

Thursday, November 02, 2006

Removing the sleeping dinosaur

Running - It's a long gone phenomenon but I am going to apply the acquired discipline [framework] used to prepare for running the Melbourne Marathon, in what follows for me right now.

Twenty four, twenty, fifteen, ten or just five years makes no much difference, really. It's the journey and the destination that matters. There are several stops and starts but they are all part of the same journey. So what is the point if it takes another year or two, the intersection is the same, the point of convergence is just there.

Life
Life evolves in ways that one cannot predict. No need to take hostages or feel like a mercenary anymore. As the popular song says.."la vida sigue igual", life goes on.

Finally I am about to undertake a project that have long lasted to do ... write about life and past experiences! Before that happens, scoping of what follows it's necessary. It's the same approach required to prepare for a marathon. The execution is important so is the planning. Time, energy, inspiration and focus are words that come to my mind right now.

There are a few subject matters that interest me. For example, writing a story based on the capture of Noriega, former President of Panama, by the USA in 1989 is one that interest me so much. I lived in Panama for a year prior to my arrival in Australia and it is a country I feel connected to. I have kept for all of those years newspaper clippings how these events unfolded. [Noriega was seeking refuge in the Vatican mission in Panama City when USA troops supported by thousands of troops flew over the mission to capture Noriega and took him to Miami to face charges of complicity with money laundering and drug trafficking.] Another story is the years of student activism in Guatemala during the years of conflict, particularly at the peak of the repression in the 1980s.

One of my favourite writers, Augusto Monterroso, wrote this eloquent and powerful short story:

The dinosaur


When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.



story accessible on Things magazine

Ps
Augusto has gone to sleep and he is not waking up again, but I am about to remove that dinosaur that has remained idle for a long long long time.

Melbourne Cup
Australia stops for a horse race on Tuesday... It's a long week-end. So much to be consumed so little to gain. My core efforts will be to progress a research/essay plan overlooking the tranquility of the landscape that I treasure the most.
Let's see what evolves in coming days...

Free Web Counter
Free Web  
It's all about me... pursuing certain goals...